Friday, June 13, 2008

If only I could

My contacts are drying out. I'm not 100% sure that thats the problem or if its the fact that im so exhausted my actual eye sockets are retracting and trying to convince me to put them to rest. I have this thought and the question behind it is, what if we can only be defined by one thing? What if there is one attribute that allows us to feel so separated by one another that it almost compels us to become the people we are. The question kind of coincides with the quote from Rilke (read the post titled "Letters"), in that if I could no longer write my music or appreciate music or have it in any part of my life I would feel as if my legs have been taken from me. I don't mean it so much in the sense of..."If I don't write today I will lose my mind" but more in the being defined in the regularity of my talent and with its absence I would be standing in a empty room twiddling my thumbs and asking myself whats next. It makes me thing of a movie...a ridiculous one..but its called "Stuck On You". In the movie, if you haven't seen it, there are two brothers and they happen to be Siamese twins. To make a long story short they move to hollywood and while out there they decide to undergo surgery to separate themselves from one another. After the surgery is a success, the brothers find themselves doing things on their own without the "support" of the other. But the scene that gets me is the older brother played by Greg Kinnear is sitting on a bench reading the paper and finds himself scooting right next to the statue at the other side of the bench until eventually he is on top of it. He didn't know how to act without the other half being attached. They were defined by others as the Siamese brothers but to themselves they were what kept the other half running properly. So in the same sense do the things we love to do, the passion that drives us, not the day to day normality of a job or school, but whats at the center of our heart define who we truly are? Does this make sense, or should this just be a post that kind of fades into the rest? Tell me what you think...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you're blogging. There is a depth to you that the world deperately needs to know about.