Sunday, June 22, 2008

21 and Invincible...?

I remember the days when birthdays seemed to last forever, with the wait to get there even longer. Now no matter how much enthusiasm you express its not enough to make each day seem like its not just another day. I will have to say this though. The older I get the less I look for gifts or money or anything in the form of the physical. I just want to spend it with my friends and family...the people I care about most. I know it seems like a patented old man thing to say but its true for me in so many ways. My birthday was two days ago and I found myself wanting to just be around everyone laughing and enjoying the company and not thinking when the perfect time to get my presents was going to be. I went to dinner with my family and towards the end of the meal I didn't want to get up. In fact I was hoping that random people would just find their way in to this brilliant celebration that was my birthday. When we left, one of my best friends set up a time for me and some of my friends to go out and have a good time, just hanging out and again enjoying the company. It was at the second part of the night that I slowly started realizing for the first time what is truly important. With each passing birthday since ive turned 18...I haven't had that unstoppable mentality. I havent looked in the mirror and thought to myself the rest of my life may lay ahead of me but theres no better time than right now. Now all I can think about is the tomorrow that will come...each new path that is set in front of me. I encourage you to search yourself...find what is important, embrace it and remember that there is no greater time than tomorrow.

No comments: