Wednesday, January 7, 2009

and the winner is....

So I've been thinking a lot about posting my thoughts on music and the business the way that I see it. I am not someone who is on the inside or do I see how everything really plays out but this is how I see it.

There are more one hit wonders in this day and age than there were in the 80's and that is saying a lot. Lets think about it honestly...where is the real talent. Do we really have more than 3 bands that have come out of the past 9 years that are going to last? Don't get me wrong...there have been some talented artists but they are all quite similar and they will all fade quickly.

The old adage goes "It doesn't matter what you know, it's who you know" and that has never been more clear until now. When Miley Cyrus is the top selling artist in the business right now...we have problems. I am not going to tear her down or knock her in any way other than say this, she does not have any musical ability. There I said it

If your attractive or rich or have the right connections...record your voice through a tin can and out comes solid gold? I think the answer is there needs to be a better filter. Instead of having 20 okay bands to sell 5,000 records each, have 5 that will sell 20,000 records each. We need to see talent...music is a gift not something that just comes to everyone with the right equipment.

So in closing, I think that every record company should sent out an apology to each of its buyers for convincing the fools that made the purchase that the music is quality. I think they should let go of all the no talent hacks and put people in the studio that make music their passion and not a cheap hobby to make money or be famous...there...I said that too.

1 comment:

bcl said...

AMEN! I totally, 100% agree...even in the Christian music industry it's true. I saw I think Krystal Meyers in concert and she was horrible! She sounds so much better on her CD which means her voice has been digitally tweaked to sound good. Ugh! I hate it, it makes me cringe.