Thursday, July 24, 2008

Convictions...

I have been thinking a lot lately about the definition of conviction. I know that it is a topic discussed often within church circles but I think we forget sometimes that the word is more universal than just church members and christians. I was thinking about why we are convicted. Are we still in a point in this day and age where the Holy Spirit convicts us or are we just morally aware of good and evil?

Are the things that we have been taught which are good and evil what brings this feeling of guilt on us? When you wrong someone or curse someone out...do we feel guilt because it truly is wrong or because when we were younger our mothers and fathers, grandmother and grandfathers smacked us and told us they better never hear those words again? I wonder if the things we feel "convicted" about today are the same things they did 100 years ago or even 20 years ago.

I think we put so much emphasis on the feeling of conviction and what we "should" be convicted about and less on what is actually morally correct and incorrect. If I sit down and have a drink at home...why should I feel convicted about that? I'm not causing any of my brothers or sisters to stumble...im at home...alone...drinking in moderation.

Stop pushing the idea of conviction and what you feel convicted about upon everyone else. There are the clear cut morally wrong issues but everything else...just walk away and leave it up to the heart of the other.

1 comment:

bcl said...

Good point Alex! God also convicts every person differently. So, He might convict me of something that He doesn't convict you as strongly about. So, you're right, we shouldn't push our convictions on other people, but trust that God has given them their own convictions and just love them for who God made them to be. Great post!
-Cherie